Saturday, October 9, 2010

Strawberry Fields, Forever

The memorial © corliss-lamont.org

John and me
Today is John Lennon's 70th birthday. Should that be "would have been"? It seems to me that when you are immortal you are still in the present. So it's is. Fans of all ages gathered at Strawberry Fields in Central Park to celebrate his life through the music he made.
the Sign
The memorial this afternoon
I was in the third row behind the musicians and couldn't move any closer. I asked this lady who was in the second row to take this picture. After I did that, three others nearby asked her to do the same. Do you see the green apples? I saw two women placing the apples on the memorial and I was slow to realize what they meant. Of course, Apple Corps, the Beatles' record company.
The crowd
It seemed to be an impromptu jam session. People brought their instruments and shared in the music. It was a beautiful day, skies were sunny and clear, the temperature was in the seventies. And the music was from the sixties. Everyone sang along.
The musicians
Playing along
Solemn boy in a suit with electric guitar
Sgt. Pepper was there
John's look-alike, too

No comments:

Post a Comment