Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Stocking the Kitchen

I'm on the lookout for cheap utensils for the kitchen. Today we went to Grand and Bowery in Chinatown, a block where there are four restaurant supply stores. I got an aluminum colander for $4.50, a pastry brush for $3.00, and a rolling pin for $2.00. It's actually a 1 1/4 inch dowel cut to 12 inches in length, but it will do. 

On Bayard Street  I went to look for a fresh daikon radish for tonight's supper. I remember Lorraine telling me to choose one that is firm and white, with leaf stalks still attached. The stalks should be bright green. I also got fresh cilantro, garlic, and a ginger root so fresh the skin was smooth and shiny, not wrinkled as it so often is at the supermarkets uptown. Tonight we are having Hainanese chicken rice.

We stopped at Banh Mi Saigon on Grand Street for a lunch of Vietnamese submarine sandwiches. My pork sandwich was $3.75 and AJ's chicken was $4.50. The bread was crusty but not soft on the inside as a baguette should. The whole thing lacked flavor. We still think the best banh mi is in Calgary Chinatown. 
Banh Mi Saigon

No comments:

Post a Comment